It’s BBQ season!
Unfortunately, Mother Nature hasn’t been the most cooperative lately. Half the country is trapped in an intense heat wave, and the other half drenched in rain. Neither are ideal situations for firing up 30,000 BTUs of heat.
That’s why I love this indoor BBQ recipe. It’s perfect for days when you can’t cook outdoors, or if you don’t have access to a grill but still crave that great BBQ taste.
These Roasted Vegetable, Sausage, and Tofu Skewers are perfect for any time of year and are so easy to make. I roasted onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers with Field Roast Italian-style sausages and extra-firm tofu on sheet pans in the oven until just tender. Then I assembled the skewers, brushed them with my favorite vegan BBQ sauce, and finished them off on an indoor smokeless grill.
I have a small kitchen and appliance-storage space is always at a premium, so an indoor grill wasn’t on my purchase radar. I was lucky enough to be gifted one from my dad, but I have to admit that I am truly enjoying it. So if it’s in your budget and/or your space situation, I do recommend it.
And if you don’t have a smokeless indoor grill, you could also use a flat grill pan on you stovetop on medium-high heat to achieve that caramelized, sticky BBQ sauce taste and texture.
Roasted Vegetable, Sausage and Tofu Skewers
- 1 red onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 package plant-based sausages of choice, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed and cut into 2-inch squares
- 2 tbsp vegetarian hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp low-sodium tamari