It’s BBQ season!
Unfortunately, Mother Nature hasn’t been the most cooperative lately. Half the country is trapped in an intense heat wave, and the other half drenched in rain. Neither are ideal situations for firing up 30,000 BTUs of heat.
That’s why I love this indoor BBQ recipe. It’s perfect for days when you can’t cook outdoors, or if you don’t have access to a grill but still crave that great BBQ taste.
These Roasted Vegetable, Sausage, and Tofu Skewers are perfect for any time of year and are so easy to make. I roasted onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers with Field Roast Italian-style sausages and extra-firm tofu on sheet pans in the oven until just tender. Then I assembled the skewers, brushed them with my favorite vegan BBQ sauce, and finished them off on an indoor smokeless grill.
I have a small kitchen and appliance-storage space is always at a premium, so an indoor grill wasn’t on my purchase radar. I was lucky enough to be gifted one from my dad, but I have to admit that I am truly enjoying it. So if it’s in your budget and/or your space situation, I do recommend it.
And if you don’t have a smokeless indoor grill, you could also use a flat grill pan on you stovetop on medium-high heat to achieve that caramelized, sticky BBQ sauce taste and texture.
Roasted Vegetable, Sausage and Tofu Skewers
Serves: 4-5 (2 skewers each) | Nut-free | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
1 red onion, chopped into large pieces
1 zucchini, cut into half moons
4oz cremini mushrooms, stems removed
1 red bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into large pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 package plant-based sausage of choice, cut into 2-inch pieces (I used Field Roast Italian Garlic and Fennel sausage)
½ block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed and cut into 2-inch squares
2 tablespoons vegetarian hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari
6-8 shishito peppers (optional. I used these on mine but not my kids)
1/3 cup vegan BBQ sauce of choice (I like Stubb’s Sweet and Sticky)
8-10 bamboo skewers
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 2 standard baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the onion, zucchini, mushrooms and bell peppers in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, slat and pepper until well coated. Place on one baking sheet in a single layer along with the sausage. Bake for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender but not dark.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the tofu, hoisin sauce and tamari and toss well to coat. Place on the second parchment-lined baking sheet and bake alongside the vegetables for 10 minutes, then flip and bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove both trays from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, build skewers, adding shishito peppers if using. Brush skewers with BBQ sauce
- Heat indoor grill to medium-high (or use a flat grill pan on the stove), and place skewers on the grill for 2-3 minutes per side, or until BBQ sauce gets caramelized and sticky. Serve immediately