I love recipes that turn a classic dish on its side. Lately I’ve been seeing an abundance of posts on Instagram about “Lasagna Soup”, and I’ve been intrigued. But, I have and entire family of non-tomato sauce loving people (well, okay, one of them loves tomato but the feeling isn’t reciprocal. The smallest two, however, just flat out despise it, unless it’s on top of a pizza.)
But I really wanted to try lasagna soup (read: I really wanted something that tasted like lasagna but didn’t involve all the effort because, see above.)
So I thought about what my family does love: creamy sauce. And I figured, well…since lasagna can be made with a cream-based sauce, why can’t Lasagna Soup?
Turns out, it can. And it’s good. Like they finished off the entire pot good. The creamy sauce, laden with tons of gooey vegan mozzarella is hearty and soothing and perfect for a cold winter night. You could load this soup up with tons of sauteed veggies or add a faux meat (which we did). It’s totally up to you. Just don’t skimp out on the cheese (because lasagna is all about the cheese) and be sure to add the noodles at the very end, because they’ll soak up that soup faster than you can!
250g lasagna noodles (about 10-12 noodles)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
2 green onions, diced
1 6oz pkg cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
225g pkg gardein chickn strips, defrosted and cut into chunks
1 garlic clove, minced
1 15oz can coconut milk
3 cups vegetable stock
3 tbsp vegan chicken soup base
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1.5 cups shredded vegan mozzarella
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional – for garnish)
1. Cook pasta according to box directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle. Lay a cooked and cooled noodle on a flat surface and, using a a pasta cutter or a knife, cut lengthwise in half, then cut each piece in half again lengthwise so that you have four long ribbons. Trim each ribbon into thirds so that you have small ribbon pieces. Repeat with all remaining noodles. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat oil on med-high heat. Add white and green onions and saute for 3-4 min. Add mushroom slices and saute until golden and dark, about 5-7 min.
3. Add chickn pieces and saute for 4-5 min until lightly browned on outsides. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, vegan chicken soup base and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine. Bring to a light boil on medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low.
6. Stir in shredded cheese and black pepper. Simmer on medium low heat until cheese melts, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes.
7. Remove from heat. Add noodles to soup; garnish with parsley (if using) and serve.